Red Hot Nature

Happily ever after...well, not always! But when you have your best friend to share every day with, how can life not always be great? By focusing all our energy on each other, we're creating a marriage that will last through the eternities. We have created this blog to share our lives with our family, friends, and the future family we'll create together. "Marriage is a gift from God to us. The quality of our marriages is a gift from us to him." ~Elder L. Whitney Clayton

Thursday, December 3, 2015

It's Bad to Have a Grandpa Named Derri When You Can't Eat Dairy

I don't recall the exact phrasing, but my younger cousin Cameron made a joke over Labor Day about Ryker not being able to eat dairy and that it was bad because his grandpa was Derri. Well, Ryker and I have had an eventful week. Between losing my employee over Thanksgiving weekend, full swing mink harvest, Christmas shopping and decorating, primary calling, etc., it has been a hectic time. At his wel baby checkup Monday, the doctor said we could start trying a few dairy products and to start with things like Goldfish Crackers, yogurt and cheese. Monday I gave Ryker a Colby Jack Cow Pal cheese. He seemed totally fine so I was really excited because cheese was his favorite snack before we cut dairy out for him. Tuesday I tried the same thing. He seemed fine again. But then disaster struck when he woke up screaming bloody mirder at midnight and would NOT stop. We finally gave him a bottle of rice milk and he stopped crying long enough to drink it. He settled down easier after the bottle and slept the rest of the night in our bed (that has never happened before). When I woke up in the morning, I nearly rolled on top of him not realizing he was there at first since he ever sleeps in our bed. Poor little guy. Guess we will try yogurt or crackers next and see if we have any better luck. I'm really nervous for his sake..and mine. Definitely don't enjoy the rude awakenings and the heartbreak of hearing your child scream nonstop in pain. 
Eating cheese agin for the first time. You can't tell here, but he still loved it. 

With the crazy times, Ryker and I haven't been getting home until at least 7. And Zach hasn't been getting home until 8-9. Ryker and I have been having our own little fun together. His speech is really lacking. He only really says mama and dada. He used to say dog but hasn't said it in months. And uh-oh hasn't been said since before he started saying dog. He does say a word that my parents say is "sit" but we hear something slightly different. This week we made a card for daddy telling him how much we loved him, listened to Christmas music and sang And danced, colored Christmas pictures, baked cheap sugar cookies with Christmas trees on them and have read about a zillion books. I have always read several books to Ryker. And he obliges by putting one away and getting another out. He adores books (YAY!!). We narrate everything we are doing and talk about things he points at or gets into. He has always been several months ahead in all the physical development, but he just doesn't feel like talking yet I guess (which I'm not complaining about because I love this stage and I can deny how fast he has grown if he isn't talking). I'm guessing that one day he will just decide to open his mouth and words will pour out. He comprehends everything we say to him. "Where's your nose? Eyes? Toes? Button?" "Put it back." "Do you need to go potty?" "Say please" (he does sign language please). "Are you hungry? Tired? Need a nap? Ready for bed?" "Let's brush our teeth." "Time to go." He has reactions for each and endless gibberish indicating he knows exactly what we are saying to him. But he is a stubborn boy and just won't make words. That's ok though because I enjoy "working on is speech" by letting him bring me book and after and he turns around and sits in my lap and points and "oohs" and "ahhhs" at every page. I'm going to miss this stage when it's over. Time is flying and I have no idea where it has gone. Please make it stop! 





No comments:

Post a Comment